Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

St. Patty's Day Dinner

Planning something fun for St. Patty's Day? I like to celebrate holidays with a special meal. I've never tried to make anything "Irish" before, but I thought this year I'd give it a go. I have rehearsal Thursday, so I wanted to make somthing simple that Daniel can take over for me after I leave.

I found this recipe for Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage and thought it sounded perfect.

INGREDIENTS:
1 small bag of matchstick carrots (you can also shave down big carrots if you want)
10 baby red potatoes, quartered
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
4 cups water
1 (4 pound) Corned Beef Brisket with Spice Packet (I got mine at Schnucks, couldn't find it at Wal-Mart. It's sold with the spice packet.)
6 ounces Beer
1/2 head cabbage, coarsely chopped (again, got this at Schnucks. Wal-Mart's looked kinda mushy.)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Place the carrots, potatoes, and onion into the bottom of your crock pot. Pour in the water, and place the brisket on top of the vegetables. Pour the beer over the brisket. Sprinkle the spices from the packet onto the meat, cover, and set the crock pot on HIGH.
2. Cook the brisket for about 8 hours. An hour before you're going to eat, stir in the cabbage and cook for 1 more hour.

That's it! I'll add the cabbage before I leave for rehearsal and then by the time Daniel and JD get ready to eat dinner will be finished.

I'll post a few photos when I actually make the dinner and let you know how it turns out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment