Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Hubby Pie.

My husband has many talents. He's a hard worker, he's a great Dad, he's a Scrabble champion, and he has the uncanny ability to calm me down in my most frantic of moments. One thing that he's not well known for though, is his cooking. Don't get me wrong, he's definitely a grill master and can also whip up a mean breakfast, it's just that when it comes to trying a new recipe he's no Jamie Oliver. That's why I was surprised last week when he offered to make a dessert for dinner when his parents where coming over.

"So, whatcha gonna make?" I asked.

"It's a surprise! Don't worry, I'll take care of everything." He replied.

Wow. I'd never heard those words in that exact order come out of his mouth before.

That day, Daniel not only picked up John early from Nana's, but he also did the grocery shopping, picked up the dry cleaning, and did the dishes from his "surprise dessert" all before I came home from work at 3pm.

Did I already say Wow? Because I need to say it again. Wow.

Once I got a look at his dessert I was even more shocked. Here's a recipe for Homemade Banana Cream Pie that my husband found online and followed to the T.

BANANA CREAM PIE (from http://www.allrecipes.com/)



INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup regular sugar
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups milk
3 egg yolks, beaten
2 tblsp butter
1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1, 9 inch pie crust, baked
4 sliced bananas

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, and salt. Add milk in gradually while stirring gently. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is bubbly. Keep stirring and cook for about 2 more minutes, and then remove from the burner.
2. Stir a small quantity of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks, and immediately add egg yolk mixture to the rest of the hot mixture. Cook for 2 more minutes; remember to keep stirring. Remove the mixture from the stove, and add butter and vanilla. Stir until the whole thing has a smooth consistency.
3. Slice bananas into the cooled baked pastry shell. Top with pudding mixture.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes. Chill for an hour before serving. Add cool whip if desired and enjoy!

We enjoyed the pie so much that night I had Daniel make it again just a few days later. He had a little helper this time :)



Even more handsome in the kitchen :)

2 comments:

  1. It still amazes me that my "little" cousin is all grown up with a beautiful wife and son....Leslie you are an amazing young lady and it makes me glad to see y'all so happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dawn! You're too sweet!

    ReplyDelete