Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

Fashion Friday: Taking a Risk

Hey Everyone! I'm excited about today's post for a couple of different reasons.

1. It's Fashion Friday, and that = FUN!

2. Today's post reveals a little something about me that most people might not know.

The reason I do Fashion Friday is because I secretly love taking risks. There. I said it. Now, you know.

And while I don't always take risks in my day to day life, (example: I never try anything new at Starbucks, I'm a Soy Latte kinda girl!) I do like taking risks when it comes to fashion because, frankly, I don't care what people think. Now I do care about PEOPLE in general, but I don't care whether or not they think I look like a crazy person or a fashion icon.

Here are two outfits that I LOVE, but some people might think they're a little strange. One thing that I absolutely love is taking a vintage piece and making it my own, and that's what I did with this dress here.


Dress from Annie Laurie's Antiques

The dress is straight out of the 80's, but I love that it looks bit more modern with the wide belt and the tall platform shoes. I also removed the shoulder pads myself, and tied the bow loosely and off to the side a bit.

I've noticed that sometimes women (especially around here in Southeast MO) can be a bit hesitant to wear vintage pieces. They may feel that it's not "stylish" or that they might get a few too many stares. You may be getting stares, but it won't be because you look bad, trust me! Wearing vintage is not only good for the environment, it's also a way that you can truly wear something unique.

If you're not comfortable with wearing vintage clothes just yet, start small and try a handbag or scarf. Accessories are great ways to re-purpose and incorporate vintage into your life.



This bag is also from Annie Laurie's Antiques. It's a vintage Dooney and Bourke over-the-shoulder bag. OTSB's are seen everywhere recently, and they're perfect for date night when you don't want to carry your huge "mommy purse" :)


This next outfit is also a re-purposed find. The dress I bought new from Target last summer, but I made it unique and tied a denim shirt over the top to make it a completely different look! If I get too hot today I can just untie the shirt and wear the dress the old way. I re-purposed by taking an old dress and changing the look to something completely unique.



You might think this look is a bit strange, but I love it. One of my co-workers said "Howdy Cowgirl" when he saw me in this, but I didn't mind :) I think this look is unique and I'm loving it!

Think about your own wardrobe. Do you have old dresses that need an update? Do you have a vintage piece that you've been hesitant to wear before? It's time to bust out of your shell and try something new!

Have a great weekend, everyone! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment