Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Endless Possibilities.

I've had my sewing machine for almost a year now and I'm just starting to get the hang of using it. While I haven't made anything from scratch with a pattern yet (hopefully soon!) I have used it frequently to hem, mend and re-size clothing. I found this camel turtleneck on deep deep clearance at Macy's ($6!) and instantly loved the color, but they didn't have my size. I purchased it anyway with hopes that with a little work I could make it fit.

The body of the sweater fit a little loose, but that's how I like my sweaters to fit anyway so I left it as is. It was the arms that were terribly too large, so I started by cutting along the seam of the arms and then pinning them about where I wanted them to fit, making sure the sweater was inside out.



Then I got to work sewing a new seam.



Sorry for the dark picture, the boys were trying to watch a movie while I was sewing!
 The end result is a new, more flattering fitting sweater! I'm in love with the classic, Jackie O appeal it has with the red cigarette pants.



Sweater: Macy's, re-sized by me. Jeans: NY&Co. Black Pumps: Macy's, last year.
 Today I'm regretting not purchasing all those larger sized dresses I saw at Target on clearance recently. With a snip of the scissors and a few stitches, they would've fit perfectly! Lesson learned: I have a sewing machine, and I need to use it. Next time I see something adorable in the wrong size, I'm going to take a second look and see if I can modify it to fit.

1 comment:

  1. Cute outfit! I have a sewing machine too, but I'm always afraid to make that first cut in the clothing! I need to be more brave. Your sweater turned out great!

    ReplyDelete